Pages

Thank You for Visiting!


Follow Me on Pinterest
Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, October 25

Cleaning Schedule

Image Source: imperfecthomemaking.com via Ashley on Pinterest

As some of you might know, I follow a cleaning schedule.  It makes life so. much. easier.  I don't know about you, but I feel like it can be a little overwhelming to try to start a day of productivity when you have a never-ending to do list.  To make sure you never experience that feeling again, do yourself a favor and test drive a cleaning schedule.  The beauty of a schedule is that you never feel like you have to clean the entire house in one day.  There is a set starting point and ending point.  Even if you don't follow it religiously, you will have an idea of what you need to accomplish that day and your goal will be totally attainable.

I know what some of you are saying.... 'It's so easy for her, because she's a stay-at-home mom!'  Not even remotely true.  Have you ever tidied the path directly in front of an F3 tornado??  That's kind of what it is like to attempt to clean the house while my little Tasmanian-Devil-of-a-toddler is around.  I can also tell you that I started this schedule when I was still working.  That's right, folks.  Schedules are GREAT for busy professionals and homemakers, alike!  Did I mention that I schedule my weekends so they are free and clear of all household duties??  Sounds delightful, doesn't it? 

Here are a points to keep in mind as you start planning your schedule:

Map your house into cleaning zones.  Lump like items together, such as dusting all the rooms in one region or cleaning all the bathrooms on the same day.  Make sure you work efficiently.  If your greatest challenge is hiking all your cleaning products up your stairs, start storing a set on each level (I live in a 3-story townhouse, so i know this one all too well).  If dusting inflames your sinuses, get it all over with in one day so you can enjoy the rest of the week.  Work smart! 

Keep your weekly schedule in mind.  Are you exhausted after the weekend?  Make Monday's list light.  Do you do all your grocery shopping on Thursdays?  Clean the kitchen on Wednesday when there are fewer food items in it -- groceries love fresh, sparkling kitchens!  Do you have the ladies over for Bible study on Tuesday?  Make sure the living room is dusted and vacuumed the day before.  For me, this means I prepare for weekend guests.  I put the finishing touches on the living areas on Fridays, so they are as fresh as possible, and I refresh the guest rooms on Mondays, once my guests have departed.  That way, the guest rooms are always prepped and ready for any expected visitors.  Also, I keep my workload light on Mondays and Thursdays, due to weekend exhaustion and grocery shopping, respectively.  

Most importantly, be regimented, but not brittle.  If you have to take a day or two off, don't kick yourself.  The point of the schedule is to make life easier, not to make you feel guilty when you haven't checked every item off.  It may be difficult to get started, too.  For me it definitely was.  I had a lot of organization that needed to take place before I could easily clean my horizontal surfaces -- humbling, but true!  Celebrate the little successes and take note as you accomplish increasingly more of your list each week.  In no time, you will have a house that always looks clean and rarely takes much work to maintain.  If you are like I was when I started, you will also notice you can once again devote weekends to fun activities, instead of playing catch up on all your chores.  That is truly a beautiful thing!

If you decide to try this technique out, please let me know how it goes for you!

Here's an example of my weekly schedule.  Tasks such as dishes and light kitchen cleaning are not mentioned, as they take place as needed.  

Monday
o   Coupons
o   1st story cleaning
o   1st story vacuum
o   Outdoors

Tuesday
o   Meal planning
o   Kitchen deep clean
o   Dining room


Wednesday
o   3rd story bedrooms
o   Laundry room
o   3rd story vacuum

Thursday
o   Groceries
o   3rd story bathrooms
o   Office
o  Living Room


 Friday
o   2nd story bathroom
o   2nd story vacuum
o   Mop


 Weekend
o   FREE!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!