Pages

Thank You for Visiting!


Follow Me on Pinterest
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, October 26

Thanksgiving Casserole


Martha Stewart is a big part of my life.  I subscribe to three of her magazines -- Everyday Food, MS Living, and Whole Living.  I even subscribe to a majority of her email newsletters and mailing lists.  I always appreciate the delicious recipes and handy tips and tricks she publishes.  In her October issue of EDF, I was especially enamored with her Turkey and Stuffing Bake.  I made it for the first time week before last and I'm already making it again (I try not to remake meals very often).  To put it lightly, it's a new family favorite.

Turkey and Stuffing Bake
Serves 2 - Active Time: 25min - Total Time: 1hr
My modifications are in red.  For the three of us, I half the recipe.  It is still easily made in an 8-in square casserole dish.
 
Ingredients:
2 T EVOO
2 lb ground turkey (85% lean) or ground chicken
1 tsp rubbed sage (I doubled up on the sage)
3 T all-purpose flour (I used WW flour)
3.5 cups low-sodium chicken broth (I prefer broth made from Better Than Bouillon)
coarse salt and pepper
1 yellow onion, diced medium
3 celery stalks, diced mdium
1 loaf crusty white bread, cut into large cubes (8 cups) (I used WW bread, too)
2/3 cup dried cranberries (I doubled the cranberries and I soaked them in broth)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 T unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 425*.  In a large skillet, heat 1 T oil over medium-high.  Add turkey and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, 8 to 10 min.  Add sage and flour and stir to coat.  Add 1/5 cups broth and cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, until liquid is thickened, 2 min.  Season with salt and pepper and transfer mixture to an 8in square baking dish.
2.  Rinse out skillet; wipe dry.  Return to heat and add 1 T oil.  Add onion and celery and cook until softened, 8 min.  Remove from heat and add bread, cranberries, and 2 c. broth; toss until combined.  Stir in eggs.  Spoon bread mixture over turkey mixture; dot with butter.  Bake until juices are bubbling and bread is golden brown. 20 to 25min.  (Just enough time to clean up the kitchen and set the table -- how considerate!)  Let cool 10min before serving.

I think one of the things that is so enjoyable about this meal is that it encompasses the Thanksgiving flavors without requiring days and days of cooking and baking.  It's like Holiday Lite.  Who doesn't love a little added holiday cheer without all the effort??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!